Puerto Rico

Photographer Red Lady Carnival Liquor

We all remember hurricane Maria last October and how the news made it seem majority of the island was hammered. You may think it is off limits for 2018 travel, but honestly the news always overacts everything. I stayed in Old San Juan, and it wasn’t as bad as the news portrayed it to be. Yes there was a few damages, but you still can visit and have an amazing time.  There are plenty of reasons to visit Puerto Rico.

Colorful streets of Old San Juan

Old San Juan is probably Puerto Rico’s most-visited spot. Is is such a colorful, beautiful place and I enjoyed strolling down the street. Its colorful buildings, and street art makes this town alive and contemporary. I haven’t been to a place as colorful as Puerto Rico.

IMG_2936

img_2727.jpg

Fort San Felipe del Morro

This place is a MUST SEE. Fort San Felipe del Morro, also known as Castillo San Felipe del Morro or Morro Castle. This forte is often the first stop on most first time visitor’s sightseeing list. Bring water, comfortable clothes and shoes. I did a photoshoot there and I must say walking around in a gown was very uncomfortable.

old-san-juan-puerto-rico-39

Photographer Red Lady Carnival Liquor

Photographer Red Lady Carnival Liquor

The Food

I love trying different types of cuisines from different cultures. I always feel that Spanish food in the states is not the same as where the food originated from. The food in Puerto Rico was AMAZING. These are the 2 places I would recommend to grab breakfast and dinner.

Chocobar Cortes in Old San Juan. If you love chocolate on your pancakes or waffles, this is the place to go. I am extremely picky when it comes to food, and I went there twice 🙂

IMG_3984

Barrachina is also located in Old San Juan, just one block from La Fortaleza. The food was great and the employees were very warm, and friendly. The magnificent tropical foliage is the birthplace and home of the world famous piña colada. I personally do not like piña colada, but in Puerto Rico it tastes so much better.

IMG_2959

Museo De Arte De Puerto Rico

If you like museums, you will definitely enjoy the Museum of Art of Puerto Rico. It is located in San Juan.

7516787776_DIO_6505

Here are some beautiful paintings that  I saw.

img_2820.jpg

IMG_2819

img_2805-e1536529724195.jpg

Interesting Fact

After the hurricane, the Puerto Rican flag was painted over the roots of the fallen tree by an artist. I thought that was very interesting and when I saw this, it showed me that this country is very prideful of where they are from no matter the circumstances.

dio_7895.jpg

37 comments

1. Bibi says:

As a teacher in Georgia, we had SO MANY students come to our schools after the hurricane last year. So sad! But I’m glad that the island is recovering and tourism in on the upswing. Your photos are gorgeous!

2. Brittany says:

Wow! That architecture is phenomenal. OMG your photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

Liked by 1 person

3. I have never been to Puerto Rico but would love to. The photos are amazing, it must be great to see the island IRL. Glad your school took those kids in.

Liked by 1 person

4. Oh wow … I always want to go to Puerto Rico once. He is on my bucket List. Who knows what the future will bring. You have also taken beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing… i love it.

5. Aditya says:

I heard few things about San Juan. Good to know that island is now able to access to everyone and open for tourism as well.I do like food, so I would like to visit Barrachina.

Liked by 1 person

6. WOW!Puerto Rico is amazing! I think I’d spend most of my time at Fort San Felipe del Morro. The green landscape is just so intriguing. And the streets are as inviting too.

7. nancy_ycnan says:

Thank you very much for such useful information! I feel that I shall be benefitted and my friends will be benefitted!

8. kumamonjeng says:

It is interesting to see the Puerto Rican flag printed at the roots of the fallen tree after the hurrican. How creative! The beach look so beautiful!

9. Amber says:

What beautiful photos. I’ve always wanted to go to Puerto Rico. One day, I hope. I would love to try out the food.

Liked by 1 person

10. Loved your article and perspective on different parts of Puerto Rico. I was there last month and wrote a piece you should check out too https://egallagher713.wordpress.com/viva-puerto-Rico. What was your favorite part? I loved Old San Juan and felt so peaceful and happy walking along and meeting all the wonderful people,

11. Melissa says:

These photos are amazing! It makes me feel like I was there. I am not much of a traveler, but do enjoy reading about other places.

12. Sarah Bailey says:

How absolutely stunning does Puerto Rico seem to be! Your photos are amazing and really make me want to jump on a plane and get to explore for myself.

Liked by 1 person

13. Good to see that travel is happening there again. This is on my list to visit.

14. joancajic says:

I am loving the streets and the architecture. I have never been but hopefully to be able to visit it someday.

15. Scott Gombar says:

I fell in love with the Carribean after I visited the first time. Beautiful islands, beautiful people and great food. My wife is from Haiti so we know first hand the destruction that these hurricanes cause. It is so sad to see but at the same time so happy to see they are slowly but surely rebuilding. It is a beautiful island.

16. Goodness, the photos you used to write this beautiful post are stunning! Puerto Rico is beautiful! The architecture is gorgeous. The city looks so vibrant, that art Museum is beautiful and the weather, just fabulous!

17. Thanks for your review! I have not been to Puerto Rico before but your pictures are amazing! I’m so glad it’s doing much better after the hurricane. The architecture is really pretty.

18. Puerto Rico is one of my favourite places to visit and I have been traveling there for 10 years!! (I live nearby in the BVI) It was devastating to see the damage after hurricane Maria but they have worked so hard to get back on their feet! Parts of PR still didn’t even have power until August of this year! So glad that you enjoyed your trip, San Juan really is beautiful! Be sure to try Marmalade restaurant next time – it’s the best! Charlie xo

Liked by 1 person

19. I think I started seeing travel photos of Puerto Rico in the last six to nine months or so. Your photos are gorgeous. The flag painted on the tree is very symbolic.

Liked by 1 person

20. Loved the post. Short, crisp and lovely pictures. And yes, that artist’s work on the destroyed tree speaks of the Puerto Rican spirit!

Liked by 1 person

21. This sounds like a great place to visit. Love these amazing photos! I’m adding this place to my travel list. Thanks!

22. lavieenmay says:

Puerto Rico looks amazing! Thanks for sharing, PR is on my list, so I’ll have to put these places on my list when I go there. I’m a big foodie too. What do you think was your favorite meal while at Puerto Rico?

• Lory T says:

When I went to Barrachina, I got rice, beans, plantains with fish. I love seafood and I think that was one of the best meals I had. People always recommend to try the dish called mofongo. I didn’t try it but next time I visit I definitely will.

23. Nicole says:

All of these photos are gorgeous! I have always wanted to visit Puerto Rico, perhaps one day I will get to. Thanks for sharing!